Access all areas: why every woman’s wardrobe needs a blazer
Once the preserve of golf club members, the blazer has shaken off its Lady Captain image and is now one of the most versatile pieces in a fashion-conscious woman’s wardrobe. To add a dash of panache to your smart or casual outfit, blazers are a go-to choice.
Worlds away from being a uniform dark blue jacket with gold buttons, today’s blazers come in a whole range of cuts, colours and prints. Blazers have become endlessly versatile and can be combined with any number of other pieces in your collection to create a new look every time. Dress them up with some smart separates or a tailored dress and add a pair of great heels for polished elegance that will take you effortlessly from the office to after-work drinks. Or throw a blazer over your favourite jeans and top combination for a casual outfit that oozes effortless, laid-back chic.
How to wear your blazer
Choose from classically styled blazers that fall just below the hip or flattering longer lengths that finish mid-thigh. If you prefer something a little different, opt for cute, fashion-forward shorter blazers in a whole range of delicious colours that also come in a variety of materials from eye-catching printed fabrics to faux suede and leather.
Here are some of our favourite trends right now:
- To make a bold, confident fashion statement, don’t be afraid to mix things up. Team a blazer in a fabulous block colour such a jewel-like red or green with one of this season’s on-trend jungle or floral printed blouses. One important thing to remember here; make sure one of the shades featured in your top matches your blazer for a pulled-together look.
- If you love an ultra-feminine style with a bit of an edge, wear your blazer over one of this year’s gorgeous floral floaty midi dresses. Dial the boho factor up a notch with chunky, natural-coloured footwear and some gorgeous vintage jewellery for a relaxed look. But with just a couple of very simple tweaks, you can transform this blazer and midi dress combination into something much more appropriate for the office or a special occasion. Simply add a smart, neat bag and a pair of heels and wear with sleeker pieces of jewellery for a feminine yet polished look.
- For relaxed chic that works particularly well during the warmer times of year, you can opt for a loose-cut, unstructured blazer for a breezy, easy-going style. Look out for three-quarter length sleeved versions that work brilliantly in the summer. Wear your blazer with your smart-casual outfit for a meeting, or keep it handy as an extra layer on cooler evenings.
- We just love how a classic blazer looks when styled with vintage jeans or over brightly-patterned summer trousers to create an ensemble that is at the same time both structured and undone. This is perfect for lunch out with the girls, a shopping trip or sightseeing on a city break abroad.
With so many fabulous blazers around at the moment, now is the perfect time to add to your collection. If you are looking for some fresh ideas for your next blazer, check out the Artigiano collection to inspire you.
How to choose the perfect blazer for you
Whatever your favourite style, there are a few simple rules to bear in mind when finding your perfect blazer.
The main thing to remember is that it’s all about proportion—and the right choice of blazer is an excellent way of creating a balanced silhouette.
- If you are looking for a blazer that will suit all body shapes and go with practically anything, the safest bet is to buy one that falls slightly below the hip. These are great wardrobe workhorses that will work with more formal separates for the office, jeans for a casual look and dresses for special occasions. Longer length blazers are elegant and flattering, but do be careful if you are very petite and avoid anything with a very boxy shape, as these can make you look a little swamped if the proportions aren’t right.
- Check the fit of your blazer around the bust: if it pulls or gapes here, it will detract from the sleekness of your whole overall silhouette. If you have a fuller bust, go for open-front blazers that skim flatteringly across your curves, fall beautifully at the front and do not constrict you when you move. A blazer with a nipped-in waist will also accentuate an hour glass shape. Blazers with deep necklines are also an excellent choice for you. Avoid very structured styles with lots of additional padding as they tend to add bulk.
- Shoulders should also sit neatly and feel comfortable enough to allow free movement. Make sure that your blazer doesn’t feel too tight across your back (especially if you add an extra layer underneath), nor should it be so big that you start to feel lost in it. If you are broad-shouldered, go for collarless blazers or pieces with small lapels to balance out your overall shape. If you have narrow shoulders, more structured jackets will look great on you as they will add extra definition to your top half.
Add a versatile blazer to your wardrobe to open up a whole world of new fashion options for both smart and casual dressing. And for more ideas on what’s hot in 2020 and tips for updating your outfits this summer, don’t miss our guide on accessorising your social season outfits.